07 May, 2010

New Discovery

I've been in a holding pattern with the house these past couple of weeks. I had a handyman come out to look at the repairs I need doing, and have just been waiting around for his estimate. Admittedly, there are things I could be doing, but I've been pretty tired ... especially following the trip to Merlefest and the hiking on the Appalachian Trail with my dad last weekend. I've also been working out pretty regularly with my girlfriend, Chris, which has me pretty knackered. (It's good, though, getting more 'in' my body, and feeling it taking shape.)

So, after that last post, I was having some premature seller's remorse. I was really starting to feel a strong attachment to the house, and most especially, to the yard. I've planted so much love in those gardens, and they are all doing so well this year! I was beginning to wonder if I was going to talk myself out of my plan. But, alas, inspiration came to me which once again ignited my excitement and determination to do what it is I'm doing. This inspiration came to me in the form of a realization, really. I realized that in order for me to be really happy in a new home on wheels, I have to really find a home on wheels that will make me happy every time I came home to it. I need to find a home that is dreamy and that has design features that are beautiful as well as functional. I decided I needed a vintage travel trailer!

Early on in my decision to make this leap into living in an RV, I decided my preference was to live in an enclosed rig. I had narrowed it down to a Class C so I could get the smallest self-contained unit available (that wasn't a van conversion). I was excited about the possibilities, but even the old Class C rigs are relatively unattractive.

Now I've decided that a trailer pulled behind my vehicle is both a convenient AND pretty option. I would love a trailer from the 1940s, but they are nearly impossible to find. I'm looking primarily at models from the 1950s and 1960s. They still have the same general aesthetic as the 1940s models. Most of these trailers have gorgeous birch interiors with original ovens and iceboxes. There are almost always some beautiful little decorative details strewn about the place that you just don't see in the more modern models. One might say that the older travel trailers were crafted, while the new rigs are simply manufactured.

Okay, well, I've altered my plan a bit. But I'm so terribly excited about it. I can't believe I didn't realize this earlier! But I'm so glad I realized it now rather than later. I've been hunting down trailers just to see what's out there, and it's really not too difficult to find any number of models available. Now I have to decide if I want one that has already been restored, or if I want to do the restoring myself to my own specifications. What features do I consider absolute necessities, and what am I willing to forgo? Plus, I'm also going to have to start looking for towing vehicles too. My little car isn't strong enough to pull even these lightweight vintage trailers, so I'll have to get something with a little muscle. I'm thinking about a Jeep, but we'll see what is available when I need it.

I'm so excited ... once again! And that makes me even more excited! Now if I can only get that handyman to make me an estimate ... and one that I can afford ... I'll be on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment