23 May, 2012
Previously on Days of My Life … plus a Resolution Roundup
When last we met, I had committed to getting my body off my couch and into motion. Well, I am happy to report that I have been keeping up my end of my bargain with myself. I have generally been sticking to a 6 days on / one day off plan where workouts are concerned. I did allow myself a couple extra days off while trying to heal from the worst case of poison ivy I’ve ever endured. After the first 10 days of my previously mentioned TAM-esque 15-minute muscular structure (MS) workouts followed by 20 minutes of rebounder/floor combination cardio work, I upgraded to a new TAM-esque MS sequence that take about 30-45 minutes followed by 30 minutes of mostly, or all, floor dance cardio. I began this sequence with 25 reps of each MS move, and have gradually worked up to 40 reps each. (That’s why the 30-45 minutes.) As soon as this 10 day period is finished (which is very soon) I will begin the actual Tracy Anderson Method Metamorphosis program. I would have started it sooner, but there was an ordering glitch and it took forever to get here.
I am feeling pretty good – physically and mentally/emotionally. I weathered the whole poison ivy storm. I managed to slightly injure my foot, but am still getting my cardio in (while taking reasonable precautions, of course). And while it can feel excruciatingly difficult when I’m doing the work – especially by the time I’m nearing the fortieth rep of an already challenging move – I am finding that I look forward to my workouts. It’s a pretty amazing feeling.
I referenced the notion of failure in my last post. That’s a topic that has continued to roll around in my brain lately. I continue to question my understanding of what failure is and how I perceive failure in my own life. I have been using these internal discoveries and analyses to help inspire me when I’m feeling like giving up or taking the easy out during my daily experiences. It has been amazing to notice just what exactly has been playing on my internal radio for years! So many excuses doled out as inevitabilities … so much power given over to other people and external circumstances … so much bullshit! As I begin to really listen to all that bogus programming I become much more able to negate it. I am finally beginning to take responsibility for myself and my situation a little more fully and with a little more presence and prescience to what my internal naysayer is likely to toss at me. So, I suppose this is part of that “sound mind in a sound body” thing? Points for me! Progress is being made already!
In the spirit of gauging failure and success, it seems a good time to do a resolution roundup. By that, I mean that we are nearing the halfway point in this calendar year, and it seems like a good time to see how I’m faring with all those resolutions I made back in January. So, here we go …
1. I resolve to maintain ample space in my schedule for my Self.
I fixed this one by leaving my job at the inn. I was finding that the job was consuming way too much of my time and energy leaving me too exhausted to do much else. Not conducive to Resolution #1! Now, I have lots of free time and tons of me time. And I remember why I made this resolution in the first place.
2. I resolve to regularly take classes to better myself.
Well, this one started strong out of the gate, but has slowly petered out over the long run. I am hoping to get back to some yoga classes soon, and have signed up for an e-textiles workshop later this month, but am not taking a regular class at present. Will work on finding a class to rectify this slip.
3. I resolve to clean up my diet, and eat a sustainable diet of whole foods that nourish the whole me.
Well, this one is a little loosely worded, so it’s tricky. For the most part, I’d say I’m doing alright here, though I could definitely make some improvements.
4. I resolve to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep every night.
As mentioned in #1, this was beginning to get bumped during my overworked days at the inn, but now I’m getting a solid 8-10 every night … just like my body likes it!
5. I resolve to do some form of mindful movement (yoga, stretching, dancing, etc.) every day – even if only for 10 minutes.
As in #1 and #4 … as I started working too much and falling behind on my me time, this didn’t always happen, but I’m back in business now, and that business is boomin’!
6. I resolve to cultivate a daily meditation practice.
Oops. This one didn’t last very long … again. Geez Louise! Why is it so hard to make time to sit for 10 minutes? Will have to work on this!
7. I resolve to get a pedicure every two weeks.
Oops, again! Haven’t gotten a single one. Though I still think about it regularly, and hope to figure out how to fit it into my lifestyle. It seems like when I have the money, I haven’t got the time and when I have the time, I’m not sure it’s the best way to spend my money. Must remember this is an investment in my Self.
8. I resolve to get a massage or other healing bodywork session at least once a month.
Nope. Have only gotten one massage this year. Yikes! That’s terrible! Why is it that so many people in healing professions have such a hard time making Self care a priority?? Argh!
9. I resolve to dance at least once a week.
After dance class ended, so did my regular dancing … until I started the cardio dancing a few weeks ago. Now I dance almost every day. Hooray!
10. I resolve to write in my blog at least once a week.
Umm … if you ever read this blog, you will know that’s another fail. (See … failure! It’s popping up everywhere!) But, while weekly posting is still a wonderful goal, I am happy that I am still writing at all. (Take that, Failure!)
11. I resolve to cultivate a daily practice of acknowledging and expressing gratitude.
While I have not managed to establish a specific routine of when and where I express gratitude, I do acknowledge the things in my life for which I am grateful on a very regular basis. In fact, I am grateful that I can report that right now.
12. I resolve to take at least 2 vacations (min. 3 days) each year.
Well, to be fair, the year’s not even half over yet, so this one gets a free pass for this round up. (And while, no, I have not taken a vacation yet, I am planning one for next month.)
13. I resolve to experience at least one social activity with friends every two weeks.
To be truthful, I haven’t really paid too close attention to when my social activities have taken place, but I’ve been more social this year than in many recent years, so I consider it a success!
14. I resolve to support my local organic farmers by buying much of my food from my local farmers’ market.
Yes, indeed! This one I’ve been doing!
15. I resolve to give my Self a full body exfoliation every week.
Bummer. I forgot all about this resolution. It’s a good one, though, so I think I’ll work to reinstate it!
16. I resolve to fast on each full moon and new moon.
17. I resolve to observe the power and magick during full moons, new moons, and the holidays of the Wheel of the Year.
18. I resolve to avoid looking at my computer screen first thing in the morning, or just before bed at night.
Since I’m typing this at 10:30p, I can’t claim total success with this resolution, but I’ve kept it much more often than not.
19. I resolve to always resist the temptation to say something negative about my Self, opting, instead, to say something positive and wonderful and maybe even glorious.
I can always improve here, but I think I’m doing pretty well with this one.
20. I resolve to resist the temptation to mindlessly eat/drink in an attempt to sate my emotional needs.
This is still a huge struggle for me, but I have been making vast improvements here. I will continue to work on it throughout the year!
21. I resolve to resist the temptation to beat my Self up if I break my own rules or resolutions.
Done! (Though I do reserve the right to give my Self regular pep talks and motivational speeches.)
How are you doing with your resolutions? I’d love to hear from you!