08 January, 2011

Drive-By Update

Well, it's official. I'm going to Micronesia! My dad formally accepted the offer yesterday. (I just got the message today.) I think they are hoping to leave in March. I won't be going until they've been able to get a little settled and figure out the logistics of my visiting as far as housing and such goes. Apparently, available housing in the Federated States of Micronesia is a scarcity. Real estate is prized by the natives and there are already several expats moving into the area. Most of the latter are there on business which usually ranges for a couple years (as in the case of my dad). So, we'll know more once they get there. I'm going to start doing some research on possible job options there as well as possible travel routes from the islands. Hmm ... I need to update my passport. I think it expires this year.

So, the other day I told my friend, Chris, about the possibility of the move. She did a google image search for Micronesia right there on the spot, and was in awe at the images that surfaced. (Go ahead and try it. I know you're probably curious now, aren't you?) Micronesia is a top diving location, as there are several japanese ship wreckages from WWII. She ordered me to get my diving license immediately, when she heard that juicy bit of news. When I explained to her my ridiculous (and totally illogical) phobia of sharks that keeps me from the ocean's depths (despite my love of the water), Chris told me that this was the perfect opportunity to face that fear and GET IN THE WATER! So, we'll see. I'd love to say that I will be brave enough to take her advice, but I won't know until I get there. I mean, I feel like I'm already using a lot of my bravery points just picking up and going to Micronesia. But ... maybe I should research some diving classes just in case ...

No comments:

Post a Comment