06 March, 2010

Attic Exodus and Emotion Soup

The day before yesterday, my dad came over to help me clear out my attic. And what a help he was! I'd been chucking half-packed, half-stacked piles of stuff up there for the past couple months as I've been gathering up things with which I know I am willing to easily part. As one might imagine, it is a lot easier putting things in the attic a little at a time than it is to bring things out of the attic all at once. I was left with one bedroom full of boxes and bags and miscellaneous items, and a second bedroom lined with the four bookshelves that were in the attic holding some of that stuff. I was able to get it somewhat situated so that I can still maneuver relatively easily through each room when I need to do so, but my real work is still waiting for me. This weekend (and today, if I can carve out enough 'free' time) will be spent sorting through all this stuff and categorizing it all. By Sunday afternoon I hope to have a pile of stuff to donate to Goodwill (which I will then take to Goodwill immediately so I never have to think about it again), a pile of stuff to sell online (either via craigslist, kijiji, or ebay), and a pile of stuff to sell at a yard sale. Lastly, I am planning to have a very teeny tiny sack of items that are too sentimentally valuable for me to sell or donate, and will therefore, either take with me, or have stored when I go. Mind you, I have a feeling that there will be a great deal of temptation to add unnecessarily to this teeny tiny sack of items, but I am determined to edit more ruthlessly than ever I've dared before. So, as you might imagine, my house is a veritable stock pile of dust and boxes waiting to be explored and conquered.

As I mentioned in my last post, and will likely be mentioning in future posts, I've been noticing a whirlwind of emotional upheaval. I know it is to be expected during a drastic life change such as I am making. And, it's understandable that sifting through the material mementos that have made up my life thus far would trigger some sort of emotional response. Plus, notable changes in diet and exercise can help to sweep out toxic emotions as well as physical toxins. So, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that I am experiencing what I like to call Emotion Soup. It's kind of like Alphabet Soup in that I never know which emotions are going to rise to the surface and show themselves. It's like I'm a walking grab bag of emotional response, and the ironic part is that these responses don't even necessarily need a stimulus to trigger them. One moment I'm fine. Then another moment later I could be feeling euphorically happy. Next breath might bring a swell of tears or seething anger, for no apparent reason. I know it's good to let these old stored emotions surface and release, but my goodness, it sure is exhausting. And I imagine it's also difficult for anyone spending any time with me. I'm trying to keep things calm and quiet without hindering the process, but emotions are strong magick, and they're difficult to contain and express at the same time. So, if you are reading this, and you know me, and you see me and I'm acting weirder than usual, please don't take offense. It's more likely me than you.

Okay, now that's been explained, I'd better get some stuff done around here before my client comes over tonight. If anyone's reading this ... Happy Blissful Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment