04 January, 2010

Easy like Sunday morning ...

Sundays are generally my favorite days. More often than not, I indulge in a little lazing during the morning (after the animals are all taken care of, of course). Then I spend the late morning into the early evening cleaning and cooking and listening to public radio. Today differed only slightly in that the morning lazing was combined with some work on my financial budget. Budgets are always a little tricky, I think, whether they are arranged around money, time or whatever resource strikes your fancy. My budget is currently going to undergo a tightening as a direct result of the budgets of a couple of my regular clients undergoing some tightening. I'm remaining positive, though, that I will still be able to make all my bills as well as having some extra to save for home projects, a much needed vacation sometime this year, and Charlie's new diet regime. I've also been trying to start building up some kind of nest egg, since I've never really had one before. It's really outrageous to me that personal financial management is left out of our school curriculums. (But, I won't jump on that soap box just now ...)
Anyway, after the budgeting was done, and my emails were checked, I tidied the house, washed the dishes, and cleaned the kitchen. I made a lovely sweet and savory butternut squash soup that turned out even better than I had imagined it would. I also made several calzones and individually wrapped them so they'll be easy to grab when I'm in a hurry if need be. I did these, as usual, with the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free savory bread flour which makes for a terrific crust that balances really nicely with the sweetness of the tomato sauce, goat cheese and chicken apple sausage I used in the filling. Delish! I also got some of my mies en place together for a pear, brie, olive tart and a white bean, mustard greens bruschetta that I will finish making tomorrow. Then, I made myself an indulgent Sunday breakfast for dinner: cinnamon and cardamom [gluten-free] prairie bread french toast with a remaining piece of the chicken apple sausage and some crispy bacon. (Is there anything better than bacon bathed in the rogue maple syrup from a pile of french toast? I'm coming up blank.)
Hope your Sunday was just as enjoyable as mine. Until next time ... may your own experiments be met with success!

No comments:

Post a Comment